May 21 and June 4: “Progressive Christianity” (Friendship Room/Hybrid: 11:45am)
FCCSJ identifies itself as a progressive Christian church on the ProgressiveChristianity.org website. The Adult Learning Ministry Team will be holding two forums on Progressive Christianity to explore what this means for our church on May 21 and June 4.
ProgressiveChristianity.org has identified its principles/core values since 1997. The most recent version, revised as of 2022, reads as follows:
By calling ourselves progressive Christians, we mean that we are Christians who . . .
- Believe that following the way and teachings of Jesus can lead to experiencing sacredness, wholeness, and unity of all life, even as we recognize that the Spirit moves in beneficial ways in many faith traditions.
- Seek community that is inclusive of all people, honoring differences in theological perspective, age, race, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, class, or ability.
- Strive for peace and justice among all people, knowing that behaving with compassion and selfless love towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe.
- Embrace the insights of contemporary science and strive to protect the Earth and ensure its integrity and sustainability.
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, believing there is more value in questioning than in absolutes.
We will study these values in the forums in groups and with a panel of church leaders and members, asking ourselves questions like:
- What language/idea of the Core Values do you particularly like? Why?
- Where do you perhaps disagree or object to the language of the Core Values? Why?
- What are some ways the Core Values shows up in our church’s speech and actions?
- Should any part of the Core Values be more present in our church?
The panel will include Rev. Carla, Rev. Ann Lougee, Dennis Noren, and Sean Everton, with Shelley Wessels moderating.
We hope that you will join us for a meaningful chance to discover with other church folks how we view and understand these values and put them into practice. The forum will be presented in a hybrid format, but we encourage you where possible to attend in person for these important forums.
Zoom Meeting Information:
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 843 4508 1989
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,84345081989#,,,,736053842# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdsjNUAXOh