“What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
Community Service Ministry Team
The Community Service Ministry Team serves under the auspices of the Board of Outreach to be the church’s ears and eyes in the wider community. We learn who needs help, and let you know how you can make a difference for them. Throughout the year, we ask for volunteers, collect donations, and encourage all of us to be the hands of compassion in our nearby world.
CSMT is an energetic team, interested in action and looking outward. We meet as a group about five times a year to evaluate ongoing projects and hear about new ones. If you’d like to volunteer for a project, join the team, or have an idea for a new way to help in the community, please speak to any 2018 team member: Helen Battad, Ellen Cook, Trish Fay, Margaret Gainer, Diane Kirton, Judy Stevens, Ruth Tebo, Gloria Bordeaux-Pacholec.
Here are some CSMT service projects you may want to help with:
- Family Harvest (a service of Second Harvest) — need 5-8 volunteers monthly to sort food and distribute food bags at Campbell Methodist Church
- Bill Wilson Drop-In Center — need 2 volunteers monthly to prepare and serve cooked meals for homeless young adults.
- CORAL summer camp program for at-risk students — need different volunteers once each week for seven weeks in summer to provide & deliver healthy lunches for kids keeping up school skills
- Stanford Blood Center — we organize one summer and one winter blood drive at FCC in times of low supply in the community; this is your chance to donate blood conveniently
- Sacred Heart Charities — during the holiday season we collect & donate toys and books for kids
- Next Door Solutions for Domestic Abuse — during the holiday season we collect and donate books for kids; in spring we collect and donate diapers & wipes for needy clients.
- Elmwood county jail — periodically we collect & donate bus tokens, reading glasses, composition books; gently used jeans for Re-Entry Center
- Palo Alto VA Hospice & Palliative Care Center — we collected & donated snacks and supplies for military veterans (Past project may come up again)
The Spire and Sunday bulletins will have dates and details about each project as it is scheduled during the year. Also check the Board of Outreach/Community Service Ministry Team bulletin board in Fellowship Hall.