“What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
Community Service Ministry Team
Knowing that our church community believes in and values its collective service to those in the wider community, the CSMT was organized under the auspices of the Board of Outreach to provide opportunities for church members to meet that goal. The Team selects recipient organizations based on a history of support from our church or a need that comes to our attention. We try to choose projects that church members can participate in through the giving of money, time, or item donations. New projects are taken on only with the full support of the Team.
Here are some CSMT-facilitated service projects that you’ve supported in past years. These may come up again or new ones may take their places:
- Second Harvest Food Bank – sort food in the warehouse
- STAR House group homes for youth – fill Christmas gift bags and Easter baskets
- Women in county jail – donate bus tokens, reading glasses, composition books
- People facing surgery and medical emergencies – donate blood at two annual blood drives
- Wounded Warriors at the Palo Alto VA – offer snacks and supplies
- Children served by Sacred Heart – give toys, books, school supplies
- Children served by Santa Maria Urban Mission – make and fill Christmas stockings
- YWCA rape crisis center – provide clothes women need after initial treatment
- Homeless youth and young mothers – give clothing and baby items
- Young adults leaving STAR House – donate household items for independent living
- Bill Wilson Center – collect items for the Bill Wilson Center Maternity Group Home
The Spire and Sunday bulletins will have dates and details about each project as it is scheduled during the year. Also check the Board of Outreach/Community Service Ministry Team bulletin board in Fellowship Hall.
Next Door Solutions
One of our ongoing community service projects is with Next Door Solutions for Domestic Abuse. Each year we contribute to the Holiday Boutique, where clients can choose presents for their families at no cost. This year we have chosen to focus on gifts for moms. This is a blessing to both the child who is able to give and to the mother who receives this tangible evidence of loving community support.
Community Blood Drives
Twice a year First Congregational Church hosts a blood drive on behalf of Stanford Blood Center.
Rebuilding Together Silicon Valley
First Congregational Church is very involved with Rebuilding Together Silicon Valley, an organization dedicated to rehabilitating the homes of low income homeowners, particularly the elderly and disabled, so that they may live in warmth, safety and independence.